No items have been featured yet.
Nationalities Service Center’s Second Annual Conference
Cultural Awareness and the Immigrant Community
Conference Theme: Advocacy and the Immigrant Community
Friday, April 19 and Saturday, April 20, 2013
Friday, April 19, 2013: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
• Wine and Cheese Networking Session
• Plenary Speaker: Dr. Eric Edi, AFRICOM-Philly and Temple University
Saturday, April 20, 2013: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
8:00- 9:00 Registration, Coffee and Continental Breakfast
9:00-9:30 Defining Cultural Awareness and Advocacy: Joanna Labov and Ellen Polsky
9:30-11:00 Refugee and Asylee Experiences and Cultures: Juliane Ramic, Director of Social Services, Nationalities Service Center
11:00-11:30 Panel Presentation on Immigrant Success Stories
11:30-12:00 Post Panel Discussion
1:00-2:00 Panel Presentation on Ethics and Culture: Reporting and Providing Support
2:00-2:15 Post Panel Discussion
2:15-3:00 Immigrants’ Reactions to the U.S. Healthcare Experience
3:00-3:45 Cultural Conflicts Between Recently Arrived Immigrants and Established Ethnic Communities
3:45-4:00 Where Do We Go From Here?
• On-site registration is $15 on Friday and $20 on Saturday.
• Pre-registration on the conference website before March 22, 2013 will save you $5.
• Student rate is $10 on Friday and $15 on Saturday, or both days for $20.
• Winners of the essay contest attend the conference free of charge. See back for details. If you can’t afford the registration fee, it may be waived based on need.
Act 48 credit is available for public school teachers and CEU credits are available for social workers.
If you have any questions, contact:
Ellen Polsky email@example.com or Joanna Labov firstname.lastname@example.org
Cultural Awareness and the Immigrant Community Conference Essay Contest
Winners Attend the Conference Free of Charge!
In an essay, answer the following question:
How do you advocate for the immigrant community?
A total of four winners will be chosen, one from each of the following categories:
● Social Work
Write a response to the above question based on the category you have selected.
Essays will be judged based upon content and readability.
1. Each essay should be double-spaced, size 12 font, and no more than two pages.
2. The format of the essay will be a personal narrative. (Write about what you do.)
3. Any essay written in outline format will not be accepted.
Email essays to Ellen Polsky: email@example.com. Do not write your name on your essay.
Deadline for submission of all essays: Friday, January 25 (midnight).
What can I do?